Get ready to show off your new smile!
It’s finally happening. After months or even years of living with your ceramic braces or metal braces, the day when they’ll come off has been set. You can’t wait to show off your brand-new smile!
But before you schedule a photo shoot or make plans to go to the movies and order a big bucket of popcorn, take a deep breath. There are some things you should know before your braces are removed, so you can be prepared to keep your smile straight, even, and healthy for life. Here are the top 5 things we want our patients to know before we reveal their brand-new smile.
- Your teeth and mouth will probably feel a little odd at first. – After so much time with the braces on, it’s going to feel a bit weird to have them come off. Your teeth might feel sore or tender, and your mouth will still have calluses. You might even find that eating without your braces feels as strange as eating with them did at first. Don’t worry. These feelings are completely normal and will soon fade away.
- Your teeth may not look absolutely perfect right away. – Especially for adult orthodontics patients, it can be disheartening to have the braces come off and reveal stained or yellowed teeth. However, don’t despair! A bit of tooth whitening can be all you need to get the bright, white smile you’ve been craving this whole time
- Your teeth might still move and settle. – Even if you follow your retention plan to the letter (more on that later), your teeth aren’t quite done moving. A little bit of settling is absolutely normal. Our orthodontic dentists expect it and will make sure your treatment plan accounts for it.
- Oral hygiene is still incredibly important – and now, it’s a lot easier. – It’s still vital that you brush and floss every day, but now, you’ll have an easier time doing it. You’ll notice the difference right away when you don’t have to maneuver around brackets and wires. Plus, you can start to enjoy all those tantalizing foods – like popcorn, hard candy, and sugar-free gum – that you had to put away when you got your braces. Just make sure to do so in moderation.
- Your teeth straightening journey is just beginning. – Having the braces come off might feel like the end of your teeth straightening treatment, but in reality, you’re just moving to a new phase. Once your braces come off, our orthodontic dentists will focus on retention. We’ll create either a removable or permanent retainer for your mouth to keep your teeth where they should be. Follow our instructions for retention as precisely as you can; otherwise, all your hard work might be for naught!
We hope this guide was helpful, but of course, if you have any questions about having your braces come off or any other of our orthodontic services, be sure to give us a call. We’re proud to help the adults and teens of White Plains, NY enjoy straight, healthy, and beautiful smiles.